A Brief Introduction:
Cantaloupe refers to round melon which is small in shape. It contains orange flesh and ribbed skin. It is considered as the sweetest melon among all the melons. The term cantaloupe is also well known as muskmelon. It is very delicious yet unique fruit. It is the member of Curcubitaceae family which also includes other tasty fruits like cucumber, pumpkin, squash, etc. The fruit is considered to have been originated in India, Africa or Persia. These fruits are grown properly on the sandy soil if proper irrigation facilities and honeybees are there. It is considered as a summer fruit and is usually eaten by people in between April and August.
Benefits of Cantaloupe and Cantaloupe Nutrition Facts:
There are several many health benefits of cantaloupe. The benefits and cantaloupe nutrition facts are mentioned below:
- The fruit has got an extremely rich flavor. It contains a low percentage of fats and calories i.e. estimated cantaloupe calories in 100g are 34 only. Beside this, it is rich in other healthy ingredients like vitamins, minerals which help to promote a good health.
- Cantaloupe offers Vitamin A in huge amount which is considered as a strong antioxidant. Vitamin A is said to be useful in increasing the eye vision. Beside this Vitamin A is also said to prevent lung disease and cancer. It is also good for promoting healthy skin and mucus membranes.
- The fruit is said to contain antioxidant flavonoids which include lutein, cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene. These antioxidants further help to protect cells in your body and also help to prevent cancer diseases like colon, breast, lung, pancreatic and endometrial cancers.
- Zea-xanthin helps protecting eyes from Age relayed macular degeneration disease.
- The fruit is also rich in potassium and electrolyte. Potassium is good for controlling the blood pressure and heart rate. Thus, it helps preventing heart diseases like coronary and stroke.
- Cantaloupe is also rich in B-complex vitamins and minerals include Vitamin C, Niacin, Manganese and Pantothenic. Vitamin C helps to protect the body from infectious agents. Manganese is used as an antioxidant enzyme.
- Some other great benefits of cantaloupe fruit includes proper and healthier digestion and preventing constipation and dehydration issues helps to aid bodies while sleep, muscle movement, memory and learning a process and keep your hair and skin moisturized and healthy enough.
Picking Cantaloupe from a Cantaloupe Plant:
You can choose to harvest your cantaloupes if you know how to do it properly. Cantaloupes are ready for harvesting from 70-100 days after planting. Once the cantaloupe is ready to be harvested from the vine, the melon will separate easily with a soft touch. Note that you should not pull the melon. You need to be very careful while cutting it from the vine. Pulling leads to poor quality of the melon and thus results in several diseases.
How to Pick a Perfect Cantaloupe:
While opting for a perfect tasty cantaloupe, you need to consider the following above factors.
- The cantaloupe you are buying should smell good.
- The stem should not be attached in the fruit. If it is attached that means it has been cut off very soon.
- A perfect cantaloupe should be firm enough neither too hard nor too soft or squishy.
- The appearance of the cantaloupe also matters a lot. If there is any smooth yellow colored spot on the melon’s surface, this means it is ripe enough. Avoid the green cantaloupes and go with the nice beige ones.
- It should be heavy enough. Compare the cantaloupes and pick up the heaviest one.